Active Volunteers are the real ‘stars of the show’, range from those who offer their time every day, to those who commit to a few days a month, to busy folks who still roll up their sleeves and pitch in on working bee days or contribute in other ways. Our Active Volunteers is a growing group, from 16 year olds to 88 year olds – but we need even more friends, and you really don’t need to have any aviation experience at all!
Volunteers of the museum become quite literally friends of ours and friends of other members, and all enjoy the fun, low-pressure atmosphere and the opportunity to be a part of the preservation of our aviation history for future generations.
Active Volunteers are involved in a wide range of duties on a regular day-to-day basis. From various clerical, retail, mechanical and engineering aspects to meeting and greeting and guiding our visitors and maintaining the complex and its exhibits in a safe, professional and tidy manner. Initial and ongoing training will be provided to achieve these aims and to meet the Health and Safety requirements of the various Rules and Regulations.
Apart from the satisfaction of assisting in a way to suit the individual’s ability, age, experience, time, inclination and means, all members / volunteers from far and wide are kept informed by bulletins / newsletters by email, or by the ‘in house’ notice board.
As a volunteer you will enjoy:
- Earn and redeem reward points on all food and beverage purchases in our Avgas Café
- Best price on any functions you may book at Classic Flyers
- Free access for you, your spouse / partner & one visitor to our museums.
- Access & Inclusion in our volunteer operations i.e. Aircraft handling / Engineering / Museum visits / Archives & Library / Shop sales and much more (or wherever you may like to join in.)
- Emailed updates of events & aircraft visits to keep you connected with what’s going on.
- The privilege of being involved in a dynamic volunteer organization that is helping to ensure New Zealand’s aviation history is protected into the future - All while having fun!!!
From time to time we will also engage in out of town aircraft recovery exercises where we pick up items (sometimes whole aircraft) that have been donated or loaned to the museum. This gives volunteers the opportunity to see other aviation museums or restoration operations from behind the scenes.
There are two options available to you to join as a Volunteer:
Adult Membership $72
It is important to print out and fill in a volunteer form click here
You can post it to Classic Flyers, 9 Jean Batten Drive, Mt Maunganui 3116 or fax it to 075724005 or scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To buy online go to the shop on the Home page and into membership and choose the membership you would like and proceed the usual way.
Facilities at Classic Flyers Museum include:
- Operational Classic aircraft and military equipment and museum displays
- Front of House. AVGAS Café with the best coffee and homemade food.
- Museum Gift shop. Visitors’ entry point with a wide range of gifts, garments and souvenirs available.
- Guided tours and displays are a frequent feature
- Library, boardroom and conference centre.
- Free car parking on site. Full access for the disabled.